Alright, first of all let's round up what you'll need.
What you'll need:
- T-shirt (I used an oversize one, but you can use whatever you want)
- Rit Dye (my color of choice was Green Apple)
- Paint Brush
- Washer, basin, pot (whatever you want to soak it in)
- thread & sewing machine
You'll want to cover the space you are going to work on and you may want put something between the two layers of the shirt. I did both, but it's up to you how you want to setup your working environment.
I used liquid Rit dye, there was no mixing needed for me, but if you're using powder then you'll want to go ahead and mix that ahead of time in a bowl. I poured the liquid dye I used into a bowl for easy access. I grabbed a paint brush and painted stripes on in regular intervals leaving the sleeves unstriped for now. I didn't do any measuring because I wasn't interested in having things be exact. I did the front and then flipped to the back without really waiting for the front to dry. Again this was mostly because I wasn't concerned with a little smudging or exactness.
Once I finished with the front and back of the main portion of the shirt I laid out the sleeves one at a time and painted stripes on those too. I don't really know how to explain this process in words, so hopefully the above pictures will help guide you. The stripes didn't exactly match up on the sides and on the underside of the sleeves, but I just painted them a little wider in those areas to join them.
This is what it looked like when I was done striping. I had initially intended for the the stripes to be more distinct like they are on the unwashed version, but I didn't wait for it to dry so I ended up with softer stripes, which I actually like. I don't know what would happen if you let the dye dry completely before throwing it in the wash, but I imagine that the stripes would be a little darker.
So then I put the washer on hot, dumped in some salt, and threw my shirt in. Then I just sat back and let the washer do it's thing. Then I threw it in the dryer to let it set. Once dry I ironed it to ready it for sewing.
And this is how the stripes came out. Softer and lighter.
Now for the tapered crop part. I took a shirt that I like the length of and laid it out on top of the recently dyed shirt to see where to start cutting. At first I did a little mapping out of where to cut, but that didn't work out as I planned so I just took my cutter I use for quilting and cut and arch in only the top layer. This part is really just sort of a winging it step. You can cut the arch however you like. It all just depends on how short you want the front and the back and how severe you want the arch to be. I cut once tried it on and wasn't satisfied with it so I cut a bit more and evened on the arch.
Then I penned it, ironed it flat, and hemmed it with my sewing machine.
The last step for me, and you might not need to do this with yours, was to cut about two inches off each sleeve and hem those too. And presto! Done!